Composites Central

Go Back   Composites Central > General Composites Discussions > Composites Talk

Old 02-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
dpaine

Default Using Wax Sheets for Flanges When Making A Mold

I have been emailing back and forth with an eBay seller and he recommended wax sheets for making mold lips/flanges. I was wondering if anyone has used this method before. It seems like they would be very flexible and he said you just form it to the part and stick it on and its that simple. I am very interested in trying this out. It seems expensive if they are not reusable, but a cool idea.

So has anyone used this method for making flanges? I normally layup my parts with clay instead of flanging.

Here is a link to the item. They have different thickness as well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sheet-Lining...e#ht_931wt_732

Also, for those interested, I have purchased 2x2 3k twill, peel ply, and bagging film from them and the shipping was great, and the materials have been the best I have used. I highly recommend.
dpaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
Rexjion

I have used this stuff before many years ago. We used that type of wax when making molds that were used to press sheets of plastic into shapes between 2 fiberglass molds. When we made the mold we made a negative of the top of a mold and them remade the primary from this negative. Then we applied this wax as a spacer to account fro the plastic thickness and then made the top mold on top of the wax.

Personally, I think that wax would be terrible for making a lip or flange around the outside unless you want some droopy edges. You also have to be careful when touching it. It leave finger prints and deforms with little pressure even when mounted flat.

Its not reusable... well realistically reuseable. You might be able to wrap it around a wick and make csome andles. It just deforms so easily and will tear even if pulled on much. If used for a flange, I guarantee it would be ruined when trying to remove a mold from it. It does work well for using as a spacer for a top and bottom plugs if something is going to be sandwiched inbetween. Might realistically be able to reuse it pieces that are laid flat and used as a spacer. It does cut very easy.

We used to take scrap plastic about 1/8" thick that was semiflexable. We cut it with a box knife into 36" strips 2" wide. Score one side about 1/2 way and either cut again or just break it off. Then we used the following: box knife, straight edge, tape measure, wood sander (not sure what its called but the thinger-ma-bob with a flat disc and the round belt- Belt sander?), and a hot glue gun. Worked very well and fairly fast. Not sure exactly what application you are doing but the plastic would make a flange or lip anywhere you needed. The plastic also seperates very easy fro mthe molds even if the release isnt a perfect coverage. Could probably reuse it too.

As a hint, long strips of plastic, say more than 10-12 inches dont stay well with hot glue and best to do in section on long pieces

Last edited by Rexjion; 02-17-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Rexjion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
freqflyer

McMaster-Carr has that for 11.80 which I still think is a bit expensive. I've never used it for a mold flange.
freqflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
dallasb84

Composites Expert

Send a message via Yahoo to dallasb84

I use sheet wax as much as I can.
dallasb84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:11 AM   #5
hojo

Forum Donor
Composites Expert

freeman supply is a very good source for sheet wax, however I dont think its the best choice for a flange, maybe for certain parts..
hojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:21 AM   #6
dustyk43

Forum Donor

I like using wax for flanges when the object is curved. The 1/32 in that you linked to is way too thin though, you would want to go thicker.

Freeman is a good source like someone mentioned. I also like using their tooling dough
They have a video turtorial using the wax too
http://www.freemansupply.com/video/p...m/pastelam.htm
dustyk43 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustyk43 For This Useful Post:
dpaine (02-25-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #7
2talljohn

Composites Expert

Send a message via AIM to 2talljohn Send a message via Skype™ to 2talljohn

Ive never had a good experience with Elite Motoring. I'd never get replys to emails or calls back. Thats just my experience though. I've ordered twice and never again.

Can anybody post pictures of the wax as a flange on a plug? We are getting ready to do a spoiler and its very curvy. My idea is aluminum flanges.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:29 AM   #8
dustyk43

Forum Donor

I dont have pictures but the video link I posted above shows them using wax for flanges on a plug that is a sphere
dustyk43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:20 AM   #9
SLS

Forum Donor
Composites Expert

I've used it, only when we have really free-form shapes and to save time body-working the flange for such a shape.

It works, but not without it's own problems, you have to build up the back-side to support it depending on the size of the flange.
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:06 AM   #10
dpaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyk43 View Post
I like using wax for flanges when the object is curved. The 1/32 in that you linked to is way too thin though, you would want to go thicker.

Freeman is a good source like someone mentioned. I also like using their tooling dough
They have a video turtorial using the wax too
http://www.freemansupply.com/video/p...m/pastelam.htm
Thanks for posting the video. That does look like it could save time when making a mold. I might have to give it a try. I might also try their tooling gel.
dpaine is offline   Reply With Quote